Fall Safety & Prevention

For seniors, falls in and around the home are the most frequently occurring accident.

Falls are the seventh leading cause of death in persons over age 65. A study reported in the New England Journal of Medicine found that preventing falls and the resulting injuries could reduce or delay the need to move to a long-term care facility.

Do You Know Your Fall Risk?

If any of these statements apply to you, then you might be at risk for falls:

1. I had a fall in the last year.
  2. I take medications daily.
  3. I am on 4 or more medications.
  4. I sometimes feel dizzy or light-headed.
  5. I feel unsteady when I walk, and/or use a walker, cane or wheelchair.
  6. I am afraid of falling.
  7. I don't see well.
  8. I have trouble getting up from a chair.
  9. I have been told I get confused.
  10. I have fragile bones.

Who and What Does Falling Affect?

Falling affects everyone, but especially those who tend to hurry or run into unexpected safety hazards (such as ice or out-of-place objects). Experiencing a fall affects your independence, your caregivers and your health status.

What Can I Do About It?

• Keep stairs and hallways well-lit and clutter free
  • Install handrails
  • Wear non-skid shoes or slippers
  • Remove cords from across walkways
  • Keep a clear path around furniture
  • Do not use throw rugs!

Avoid these dangerous situations:

• Slippery floors
  • Poor lighting
  • Electrical cords in pathways
  • Loose rugs
  • Raised thresholds
  • Clutter

Caregivers and Medications

Don't be afraid to ask for help instead of putting yourself at risk. Let your caregivers know how you are really doing. Know your medications, talk to your doctor about side effects and know how they mix together - or don’t mix together!

Diet and Exercise

Be sure to eat right according to your doctor's recommendation for your specific condition(s).Prepare food ahead of time or consider a home delivered meal program. Additionally, there are many exercises you can do even if your mobility is limited. 

If you have questions, contact:

• Cheryl Petrus, Occupational Therapist
    715-532-5561 ext. 1290
  • Your doctor or caregiver

Events at RCMH

Browse our events calendar to see if there is an upcoming event or program that sparks your interest. We seek to sustain vibrant, healthy communities through education and the promotion of health and wellness.

See Events Calendar